Welcome!

About Cosmos X-ray Astronomy Mission: http://pcos.gsfc.nasa.gov/studies/x-ray-mission.php

Moderator: randallksmith

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
randallksmith
New
AAS Member ID: 11840
First Name: Randall
Last Name: Smith
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Welcome!

Post by randallksmith » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:53 am

I'd like to welcome astronomers to this interactive forum, set up to discuss concepts and ideas about what the next major X-ray mission should be. I'd also like to thank the AAS for allowing the use of their website for the discussion; much appreciated!

All of the basic information about this effort is available at the NASA "Physics of the Cosmos" website at http://pcos.gsfc.nasa.gov/studies/x-ray-mission.php. The Community Science Team (CST), lead by Joel Bregman, has stated that they intend for this to be an open process to allow everyone's voice to be heard. This review will not revisit the priorities of the Astro 2010 Decadal, but instead use them along with the new funding realities to identify mission concepts that could achieve some or all of the science goals of the International X-ray Observatory at a cost that is under the Decadal's $2B stated cap. It is also important to note that the CST will not make any specific recommendations about these missions. Instead, the CST report will be used by NASA and the PCOS office to identify promising technologies and mission concepts and also to brief an as-yet unformed review panel that will act as a interim Decadal review board.

Despite the limited brief of the CST, this is actually a major opportunity, especially for younger members of the community, to have their voices be heard. New ideas, especially in areas such as combining multiple observatories or using new capabilities, would be most welcome. For example, by the time a new X-ray mission will launch ALMA, JWST, and possibly LSST will be operational. What could we learn by combining these facilities with X-ray data? What kind of data are needed?

Please send in your ideas and comments, and let the discussion begin.

zaiyamariya
New
AAS Member ID: 0
First Name: zaiya
Last Name: mariya
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Welcome!

Post by zaiyamariya » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 am

Glad to know about this. I am not an astronomer, but really like to know about the major X-ray mission discussion concept and the interactive session that you have arranged. The reference link you have shared was very helpful for me. Best CBD Capsules

ryanbabraham
New
AAS Member ID: 0
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Abraham

Re: Welcome!

Post by ryanbabraham » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:47 am

I am so glad to see this post. When I read this post, your post makes me more information about setting up to discuss concepts and ideas about what the next major X-ray mission. check this out I think the link will help me to know more about this topic.

Return to “NASA Physics of the Cosmos X-ray Mission Architecture Study”