Congrats and thanks

Wish him well as he retires.
Forum rules
Please post your message for Steve using the "New Topic" button unless you are replying to someone else.
Locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phil Plait
New
AAS Member ID: 11774
First Name: Phi
Last Name: Plait
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Congrats and thanks

Post by Phil Plait » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Steve--

I'm torn between incredulity that you're retiring, and disbelief because I've heard this from you before. :P But I cannot imagine what the press room at AAS meeting will be like without you there in the back on the phone or typing away on your laptop.

It is no exaggeration to say I owe my career to you; I don't know if you remember, but it all started back in the STIS days, in 1998, when you came back to see Keith one day after hours (your laptop was acting up). I was working on a presentation for the Leonids. You asked if I knew anyone going out to see them, and said yeah, I was! You came along, and the next thing I knew you were asking me to drive down to CNN to talk about impending asteroid impacts. And then of course there was the Dummies book, and Skip, and filming SpaceTime in Chicago. It's been a long, interesting time!

Was that really 11 years ago? Wow. You've been a terrific role model for me, as well as my benefactor. For all of that, I thank you deeply and sincerely, and wish you the best in your retirement.

Locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Steve Maran's Retirement”