Employment - what you can do with your degree(s)

Our Junior Members are talking!

Current Topics:
International Year of Astronomy
Moderator: Susana Deustua (IYA2009)

Grad School - getting in, research, advisors, groups, etc.
Moderator: Marcos Huerta (huerta)

Moderator: Anil Seth (anilseth)

Undergraduate years - classes, research, summer activities
Moderators: Gina Brissenden (gbrissenden) and Jake Noel-Storr (astrojake)

Everything Else - Breaking News Stories, Creationism, etc.
Moderator: Therese Jones (tmj143)

Moderators: anilseth, Crystal Tinch, gbrissenden

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott Idem
Site Admin
AAS Member ID: 28572
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Idem
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Scott Idem » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 am

Scott Idem
AAS Director of Information Systems
idem@aas.org

anilseth
New
AAS Member ID: 0
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Employment - what you can do with your degree(s)

Post by anilseth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 pm

How early should we try to put ourselves on a specific career track? Is it best to just keep pursuing research and publishing papers even if you are more interested in teaching, doing instrumentation or working with the public? Or is it better to try pursuing specific experiences which will help you in your goals even if they mean publishing fewer papers?

anilseth
New
AAS Member ID: 0

Post by anilseth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:29 am

carolynn.moore wrote:Is there a resource somewhere that allows people to search for job possibilities within a certain location or type of career path?
I don't think the tool exists to do this. But maybe one thing that might help is the non-academic astronomers network:
http://www.aas.org/career/nonacademic.php
It has listings of people who have education in astronomy but haven't followed the academic path. Many are still working in astronomy. This information might be helpful and you could find contacts for places that you are interested in.

erin_r
New
AAS Member ID: 22238
First Name: Erin
Last Name: R

Post by erin_r » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:26 pm

anilseth wrote:
carolynn.moore wrote:Is there a resource somewhere that allows people to search for job possibilities within a certain location or type of career path?
I don't think the tool exists to do this. But maybe one thing that might help is the non-academic astronomers network:
http://www.aas.org/career/nonacademic.php
It has listings of people who have education in astronomy but haven't followed the academic path. Many are still working in astronomy. This information might be helpful and you could find contacts for places that you are interested in.

*waves at Carolynn from the upstairs of Keith Spaulding*

Things to keep in mind with the "non-academic" astronomers thing is that the definitions are wide. Some people consider non-academic to be most of what Space Telescope or the Spitzer Science Center do as you don't teach and don't have to deal with students (if you so choose). So don't count things like that out. I actually found I really liked doing support stuff when I worked there as it gave me new problems to wrap my head around on a regular basis.

Plus. . .working in astronomy means we have a lot of options open to us. With signal processing experience you could get jobs (though many in the states are contractors with the military so selling your soul might be in the cards there) but with image processing we are quite applicable to the remote sensing community as we just point our cameras away from the Earth rather than away.

Return to “Junior Member Discussions”